Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Blog Title, Illuminated

So while I'm waiting on o-so-annoying Time Warner Cable's upload bandwidth cap to stop hindering my first Flickr upload, I thought I would write a little about the title of our blog. 'Blowin' in the Wind' is the title of a song written by Bob Dylan and released in 1963. It could be thought of as a protest song, particularly applicable to the 60's, especially the civil rights movement. Jessica and I believe that it is equally, maybe even more, applicable today. The [gay rights, immigrant rights, human rights] movement is our civil rights movement and the [Iraqi, Afghani, Israeli-Palestinian (by proxy)] war is our Vietnam war. We also have unique issues: the exponentially increasing power and rights of corporations, the strengthening connections between government and corporations, the (finally accepted) environmental waste we have left, our tax subsidy of unhealthy food and living, new copyright and ownership issues from our expanding technology sector, and our paranoid schizophrenic level defense spending, among many others. Anyway, I won't try to boil down Dylan's art any more, give it a listen yourself. Done? That's why Jessica and I travel.

Sign-off as yet undetermined,
Farrell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License